Branding is more important than ever. People think it’s complicated, but the truth is, it isn’t.
Branding = Storytelling
A good brand tells a clear story. A good story resonates with audiences and makes them feel an emotional connection, creating trust. If an audience trusts a brand, they develop loyalty. Brand loyalty creates a customer for life.
Branding is more than just a logo. A brand represents the relationship you have with the community as well as your entire customer experience. Often referred to as a ‘promise,’ it communicates your values, purpose, and personality as a business that is a realistic reflection of what your customers can expect.
Crafting a good brand goes a long way in helping to deliver on your promise as the company you say you’ll be. Some considerations:
- Be authentic – no one wants to buy a lie. Always communicate your compelling vision. Over promising and under delivering is needless to say bad for business and could potentially ultimately result in the demise of the company. Sell what your vision is for the next year, 3 years, 5 years but be honest about where your company is today. There is no finish line in business.
- A great brand impacts more than just Sales. A good brand with clear stories is valued higher by your employees, your customers and your investors. No one wants to invest their time or money into a company they don’t understand.
Creating awareness of your brand experience is crucial. It is important to have a well thought out, strategic plan to create the brand experience that you want your audience to have, because a good brand doesn’t just happen.
Why Branding is Important:
- Branding promotes awareness and recognition. People tend to do business with companies they are familiar with. If your branding is consistent across all mediums and is easy to recognize, it will help people feel more at ease purchasing from you. Which can then result in building credibility and trust for your brand.
- A strong brand helps set you apart and protects you from the competition. In today’s world market, it is crucial to stand out from the crowd in the competitive global economy. Ask yourself how your brand can stand out from the thousands or even millions of similar organizations around the world?
- Your brand tells people about your business’ blueprint. Giving customers full transparency of the company from its core through the full brand experience, from the logo to the way that your phones are answered. Always be communicating to your customer what type of company you are. Ask yourself, are we telling the right story?
- A good brand provides unity, motivation, direction and clarity for employees that they need to be successful. It tells them how to act, how to speak, and how to achieve the business’ goals.
- A strong brand generates loyalty and ultimately referrals. People love to tell others about the brands they prefer and why. Loyal customers are influential to others and will continue to support the brand in good and bad times.
- A strong brand builds perception and helps customers know what they can expect. By being consistent and clear in the brand messaging, the customer will feel at ease since they know exactly what to expect every time they experience the brand.
- Your brand represents you and your promise to your customer. It is important to keep in mind that your brand represents you as well. You are the brand, your employees are the brand, your consistent messaging through marketing are the brand. Ask yourself, what are you going to deliver (promise) to your customer?
- Your brand helps you create clarity and stay focused. It’s very easy to get busy with the day-to-day and doesn’t take long to be a long way from your original goals or plans. A clear brand strategy helps you stay focused on your mission and vision as a business and be strategic with your marketing efforts, saving you time and money.
- Your brand helps you personally connect with your customers at an emotional level, that leaves them feeling good when they buy your brand. A strong brand makes customers happy when they engage with it, because purchasing is an emotional experience.
- A strong brand is an asset. It provides your business value, well beyond finances or physical assets. What you present to the public is a big part of who you and your business are. A lot is at stake and strong branding will make the difference between revenue+sales or debt+liquidation.
Most companies don’t understand the importance of CONSISTENCY with branding.
The best branding is built on a strong idea – an idea that you and your employees can hold on to, can commit to, and can deliver upon.
Your brand is the identity that customers recognize. Branding is how customers perceive you and the blueprint of the business. May your brand be the symbol of happiness, comfort, loyalty and long lasting impressions. When your organization is clear on the brand vision and can deliver on the promise of the brand, you will see great success while building brand loyalty among your customers.